Living in a property »
Finding a property »
Moving into a property »
Moving out of your property »
Reserving your property »

Living in a property

When our tenants are living in a property we want you to enjoy your time, so find some extra information on what you can expect and when undertaking a tenancy with Sales and Lettings Angels.

Interim Inspections
We will conduct periodic interim inspections every 3 months during your tenancy. These inspections allow us to check the condition of the property and rectify any maintenance problems promptly. We will provide all tenants with at least 24 hours’ notice of any inspections via email.

Once the inspection has been conducted it will be sent to both the tenant and landlord for your records.

Quiet Enjoyment

‘Quiet enjoyment’ is the right that tenants have to enjoy their property undisturbed by their landlord and/or agent. The landlord and/or agent must provide 24 hours notice to all tenants in writing.

Sales and Lettings Angels will always provide you with 24 hours notice of any maintenance repairs or viewings on your property. If you inform us that we cannot enter your property, we will respect your right to quiet enjoyment.

However, in emergency situations such as burst pipes or gas leaks, the landlord has the right to enter the property without permission.

Renewing your tenancy
If you wish to continue your tenancy in the property that you currently live in, then we will provide you with that option before we re-market the property and conduct viewings with potential applicants.

In order to renew your tenancy we will require your request to renew in writing via email sent to

Once we have received this request, we will communicate with yourselves regarding the new agreement length, rental price and any special terms required.

If you do not wish to renew your tenancy, please also email

Waste & Recycling
As per your tenancy agreement, all tenants have a responsibility to co-operate with the provisions in place at your property for the storage of domestic waste and recyclable materials. This covers, making sure that all waste and recycling is placed in the appropriate containers, in the correct locations for collection at the correct time.

The majority of our rental properties has their waste collected in bags. The bags that you will require are as follows:

  • Green recycling bags – these can include paper, cardboard, clean tins, cans and jars and plastic bottles along with a host of other recyclable items. More are available from local stockists including leisure centres and libraries.
  • A kerbside food waste caddy – this can include raw and cooked food, fruit peelings, tea bags an egg shells. More are available from local stockists including leisure centres and libraries.
  • Red striped bags – these bags will be for general waste. These bags will be delivered twice a year. If you reside in a property of 6 people or more you can request more striped bags.

All waste must be placed outside the boundaries of your property after 4.30pm the day before collection and no later than 6am on the delay of collection. Waste will be collected by the council between 6am and 10pm.

If waste is found accumulated in front or back gardens, dumped in the street, or there is an incorrect presentation of waste then action may be taken against the tenants.

For a printable version of Cardiff Council waste collection dates click here.


Finding a property

Finding your perfect rental property can be a long and drawn out process if you do not know what you want. Before you start we recommend considering the areas you want to live in and what you want to be near, how much you want to pay per month (including or excluding bills) and the type of property you want to rent, whether this be a family home, an executive flat or a house share.

You can see our latest available properties below with our handy interactive map! Alternatively, you can register your interest on our booking form here  or call one of the angels on 02922331425

Moving into a property

Once all referencing has been completed, deposit paid and tenancy agreement signed your property will be fully secured. As your agreed tenancy start date approaches, many of our tenants like to be prepared well in advance.

Key Collection
In advance of your agreed tenancy start date, you will need to contact one of our Angels to arrange a key collection date and time.

We ask all tenants to do this to ensure that the keys are ready for collection and that have done any necessary paperwork checks.

If a key collection slot is not booked and you arrive at the office, please be prepared to be turned away.

Collection times:
Monday to Friday: 8am until 7pm
Saturdays: 10am until 3pm
We are closed bank holiday weekends.

Check in and Inventory
Before you move into a property, a check in and inventory report will be conducted. This will be a list of items in the property, their condition and the general condition of the property. You will receive a copy of this via email and you will be asked to email with photos of any corrections of amendments within 7 days. Once this 7 days has passed, the inventory will be accepted as it is. We will use the check in and inventory report at the end of your tenancy to compare the condition and check for any dilapidations or damages.

All utility bills accounts will need to be set up from the start date of your tenancy and not the day you move into your property, due to the standing charges that utility companies charge. This means that if you are moving into your property after your tenancy start date, your bill payments will be minimal. You are free to set up accounts with any gas/electricity supplier but your water will be supplied by Welsh Water. We do recommend shopping around for the best deals as the big energy companies often have new customer deals available!

If you do not want the hassle of arranging your own bills with a variety of companies, we also work with Huddle UK who combine all bills into one monthly payment for each housemate – this is perfect for our big student houses as it means no more chasing your housemates for money each month. You can find more information huddle at

Here at Sales and Lettings Angels, we all know how important the internet is to everyone and that is why we work with Virgin Media directly. With your consent we can provide Virgin Media with your details who will then contact you directly to set up any internet and/or TV services you may be interested in. If you are interested in this, please contact us here (link to contact page) or call one of the angels on 02922331425.

You are more than welcome to set up your internet with any provider.

Parking Permits
Almost of all of our properties have on street parking available, both permit and public spaces. Permit’s are supplied by Cardiff Council and prevent the need to spend time trying to find a permit free space!

If you are a professional and are a council tax account holder you will be able to apply for the permit via post. However, if you are a student and exempt from council tax you will not hold a council tax account number and therefore applications can be made via post.

More information on parking permits and how to apply can be found here.

As a tenant, you will be required to contents insurance for the property that you are living in. Contents insurance covers the belongings that you own and put in the property. As a tenant it is not your responsibility to arrange buildings insurance, the insurance that protects the structure and fixture and fittings of the property, instead that is the responsibility of the landlord.

You can look at two types of policy, insuring the whole property as a group or opt for room only insurance. It is suggested that if you opt for room only insurance there will need to be a lock on the door and any belongings in communal areas will not be covered.

If you are a student it is worth checking if your parents home insurance covers you under it’s ‘temporarily removed from home section’. Your parents address will need to be your main address for this policy.

For more advice on tenant insurance, check out Money Saving Expert.

Alternatively check out some of the following companies for their contents insurance quotes:

Endsleigh – Perfect for students


Compare the Market


TV Licensing
If you wish to watch live TV in your property, you will require a TV license. TV licenses are the responsibility of the tenants, unless specified in your tenancy agreement.

The official TV licensing site requires you to be covered by a TV license if you do one of the following:

  • Watch or record programmes as they are being shown live on TV
  • Download or watch BBC programmes on BBC iPlayer

If you do any of the above, it does not matter if you watch these on a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder – you will still need a TV license!

Depending on the type of contract you have signed with Sales and Lettings Angels, determines how many TV licenses will be required. Put simply, if you and your housemates are listed on one agreement you will only require 1 license for the whole property. However, if you have signed separate tenancy agreements and watch TV in your room you will need your own license.

Standard licenses cost £150.50 and more information can be found here.


Moving out of your Property

Is the end of your tenancy fast approaching, then find all the information you will need on how to vacate your property!

Moving Out Instructions

Before you vacate your property, we will require you to have done the following regarding your rent, cleaning and utilities.


  1. Pay all of your rent and outstanding late rent charges – you will not be able to use your deposit as your last months rent
  2. Cancel your standing order 

Cleaning & Repairs

  1. The whole property will need to be clean and any damages rectified – do not leave this to the last tenant! You can contact us if you would like the number of a cleaner or handyman to instruct at your own cost!
  2. Please see our cleaning checklist to ensure no areas are missed – our downloadable cleaning checklist can be found here
  3. Please let us know of any maintenance issues before you vacate. If they are not reported in writing, the charge may be deducted from your deposit.

Check out

  1. Please email with when you are moving out. If everyone moves out before the end of the tenancy, we may be able to bring your checkout inspection forward and return your deposit sooner.
  2. You will not need to be present during your check out inspection, but you can be if you want to.


  1. Please leave both your front door and bedroom door key in your bedroom door
  2. Do not return your keys to the office
  3. Ensure all windows and doors are closed before leaving


  1. Take meter readings on the day the last tenant leaves and inform utility companies
  2. Inform water, electric, gas, TV license, internet and council tax that you have moved out
  3. Cancel any standing orders with utility companies
  4. Provide a forwarding address for any utility bills to be settled and other correspondence.

Any queries, please contact Sales & Lettings Angels on 02922331425 or

Check out inspections
A check out inspection will be conducted on your property once everyone has vacated the property. This will check the entire property for cleanliness and its overall condition.

Apart from fair wear and tear, if the property is dirty and in disrepair compared to the opening inventory then deductions will be claimed against your deposit. We will not be able to provide an itemised list of deductions to be made.

Deposit return
We aim to return all deposits within 14 working days of the check out inspection taking place, subject to no deductions.

In the instance that deductions need to be made from your deposit, due to cleaning or repairs, then we will have to wait for a contractor to carry out the works and invoice us. This process can take significantly longer and will depend on the nature of the works required.

Once your deposit is ready to be returned, the lead tenant will receive an email from the Deposit Protection Service with a repayment ID, instructions of what to do next and how to distribute the deposit to other tenants. This is where you provide yours and the other tenant’s bank details and the deposit will be transferred. It is not down to us which account the deposit is returned too and we CANNOT change who the lead tenant it.


Reserving your property

Have you arranged and attended a viewing with one our lettings negotiators and fallen in love with a property then read on for more information on how to reserve your perfect property!

  1. Receive our reservation form. A reservation form is sent out to all applicants that attend a viewing with one of our negotiators. This email form outlines the costs, any special terms agreed and documents that will be required from yourself in order to reserve the property.
  2. Make the payment of the agency fee. The payment of the agency fee takes the property that you are interested in off the market. Please note that this fee is non-refundable.

Once a fee has been received our Lettings Administrator will begin the referencing process.


On receipt of the agency fee, we will send you two application forms via email. One of the forms will be completed by yourself as the tenant and the other by your guarantor, should you require one.

The forms that you will receive via email:

  • A Sales and Lettings Angels student, international student, professional or unemployed application form
  • A Sales and Lettings Angels Guarantor FAQ and agreement

You can complete and sign these documents using our EchoSign technology or you can print them, complete and return to

In addition to these forms we also require supporting documentation from both tenant and guarantor, these documents ensure that all tenants and guarantors can not only afford to pay their rent but are also suitable to live in the property.

Supporting documentation that is currently required is as follows:

Professional tenants

  • Signed Sales and Lettings Angels Professional Application Form
  • Proof of ID (a copy of your passport or drivers license)
  • Proof of Address dated within the last 3 months (e.g. bank statement or utility bill)
  • Proof of Income (most recent P60, 3 months consecutive payslips, 3 months consecutive bank statements, or a letter from your employer).
  • Previous landlord reference

Please note that if you are still in your probationary period or earn less than 30x the rent amount, a guarantor will be required.

Student tenants

  • Signed Sales and Lettings Angels Student Application Form
  • Proof of ID (a copy of your passport or drivers license)
  • Proof of Address dated within the last 3 months (e.g. bank statement or utility bill)
  • Proof of Student Status (a document stating both your start and end dates of your studies e.g. screenshot of student portal, council tax exemption form, or letter from student services/personal tutor)

International student tenants

  • Signed Sales and Lettings Angels International Student Application Form
  • Proof of ID (a copy of your passport or drivers license)
  • Proof of UK Address dated within the last 3 months (e.g. bank statement or utility bill)
  • Proof of Overseas Address dated within the last 3 months (e.g. bank statement or utility bill)
  • Proof of Student Status (a document stating both your start and end dates of your studies e.g. screenshot of student portal, council tax exemption form, or letter from student services/personal tutor)

Unemployed tenants

  • Signed Sales and Lettings Angels Unemployed Application Form
  • Proof of ID (a copy of your passport or drivers license)
  • Proof of Address dated within the last 3 months (e.g. bank statement or utility bill)

Please note if your unemployed a guarantor will be required.

A guarantor is a third party, such as a parent or close relative, who agrees to cover the rent payment for the individual that they are guaranteeing. A guarantor will need to be UK based earning over £18,000 and you will require one if you are a student, unemployed or a professional in their probation period or earning less than 30x the rent amount.

Guarantors will also require referencing to establish that they would be able to afford to cover rent payments. Documents required from a guarantor is as follows:

  • Sales and Lettings Angels Guarantor FAQ and Agreement Application Form
  • Guarantor Proof of ID (a copy of your passport or drivers license)
  • Guarantor Proof of Address dated within the last 3 months (e.g. bank statement or utility bill)
  • Guarantor Proof of Income over £18,000

If your guarantor is employed by a company, please provide one of the following:

  • Most recent P60
  • Copies of the last 3 consecutive payslips
  • Copies of the last 3 consecutive bank statements
  • Employer or HR letter showing annual wage

If your guarantor is self-employed, please provide one of the following:

  • A letter from the company accountant stating income for the last 2 years
  • The last consecutive 6 months bank statements

For any more information on guarantors, you can read our guarantor guide.

Tenancy agreement
Once all referencing has been completed, a tenancy agreement will be issued.

A tenancy agreement, also referred to as your contract, is a legally binding document that outlines the rental terms of your tenancy. These details include: the property address, the tenants who will be residing in the property, the dated you are allowed to reside in the property between and your payment terms. This will be signed both the tenants and the landlord.

Your tenancy agreement will also outline who your landlord is, if the property is let only or managed and where to make your rent payments too.

Similar to our application forms, this will be sent and signed using our EchoSign technology. This will allow for all tenants to complete the tenancy agreement with a digital signature.

If you are part of a group, the tenancy agreement will be issued to the lead tenant and then once a signature has been received from them it will automatically be sent to the next tenant and so on.

Paying your deposit
A deposit, also referred by some as a ‘bond’, is a sum of money paid to ourselves that we transfer to a government protection scheme until you vacate the property. Any works that need to be carried out on a property at the end of the tenancy such as cleaning or repairs, that were not reported during your tenancy, will be deducted from your deposit.

Most commonly, your deposit is equal to 1 months rent and will be paid to ourselves within 7 working days of paying your agency fee.

Your deposit amount will be outlined to you before you pay an agency fee.